WE’ll BE HERE FOR YOU THIS SUMMER!
Adventures in Cardboard is a resource for you and your family this summer!
We are making all provisions to stick around for you this summer, and we’re committed to maintaining the highest quality kid experiences we’ve been delivering over the past eight years.
We currently anticipate being out in the parks as usual with some important new safety and containment protocols regarding the current pandemic. Our priority is the safety of campers, staff and our wider community and we’re confident in our ability to proceed safely if conditions allow us to.
And Adventures in Cardboard is committed to providing top-notch experiences for our campers even if a shelter-at-home order has us all confined this summer. We will still be an Adventures in Cardboard-style, insanely creative, play-driven resource for families stuck at home. With multi-week-long arms and armor projects-by-mail, with scores of online role playing games and a multitude of physical and social activities delivered by their favorite counselors on a variety of online platforms, we can be a valuable resource for your family during a stuck-at-home summer.
Our staff are some of the most brilliant artists, teachers, theatre and gaming professionals in the Twin Cities and they have been providing campers with the most playfully creative adventures over the past eight years. Many of these folks have been working diligently with us in the past few weeks to finish developing new and exciting plans. Some of this programming will be rolled out for you to explore in our upcoming Spring Adventures and with the opening of The Cardboard Forge: Projects-by-Mail. These are programs we’ve been looking forward to developing for several years. Both should be explore-able online by the end of this week.
CARDBOARD PROJECTS-BY-MAIL from THE REALM
In coordination with The Cardboard Forge we’ll send you batches of amazing new Realm-themed cardboard projects for an extended period of the summer, not just your one week of camp! New designs will be added as they are completed by other talented artists who’s arms and armor designs are often sought after by campers.
THE RPG GAMING & STORYTELLING BOARD of THE REALM
For several hours each day during their scheduled weeks of camp, kids will be able to pick and join from scores of online RPGs with their favorite celebrity counselors on a variety of gaming & group platforms.
- Some of these games will be Realm-themed adventures exploring the mysteries of AiC lore in all ages!
- Some of these games will be played more or less as ourselves at camp, but as if everything in the park were absolutely real and as dangerous as it is in our imaginations… e.g. “Kill your counselor! No really!”
- Some of these games will be run as arena contests or battles royale; e.g. you can opt into a game as an individual challenging another individual or as part of your own house, battling other houses in fantastic settings based on the real features we often play in at every park.
- Some of these games will be relatively or thoroughly violence-free RPGs (though definitely not danger-free) based on the adventures of small backyard animals or bands of plucky kids living in a literary-style Idyllic Olde England, Ireland or America.
THE SUMMER ACTIVITY AND PROJECT BOARD of THE REALM
For several hours every day during your scheduled week of camp our imaginative, empathetic and improvisational team will be creating online participatory activities of every conceivable category. These will be electives that kids can schedule out throughout their week for creativ thinking, silliness and physical and social engagement with their friends and favorite counselors. Possibilities include but are not currently at all limited to:
- a variety of cardboard building tutorials (of course!)
- a variety of fencing and fight choreography tutorials
- spell creation sessions and Wizard Duels
- our beloved Sage Debates where we pontificate on the metaphysical realities of The Realm
- online band practice & recording sessions (to be shared on The Realmic Music Channel of course!)
- a variety of drawing/painting tutorials
- a variety of make-up, costume or cosplay tutorials
- live-action group storytelling sessions
- a dizzying array of theatre games and/or improvisation sessions
- art shares / art shows with the Online-Action Galerie du Royaume (OAGR)
- “Let’s invent a New Game” discussions for new rules and new games
- fan-kid discussions and scene-shares from pop-culture, games and lit
- The Punel (à la CONvergence): a panel of experts discusses various topics entirely in puns
… and much more. We’d also be taking requests from the kids themselves this summer; there’s way more under the sun than even our 100+ minds consider to be fun and worthwhile for playfully creative thinking and both physical and social engagement!
If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected]!