SPRING ADVENTURES 2019
Whether you prefer playing live-action games in the field or making things in the studio, Adventures in Cardboard hosts workshops that demand the use of legs and feet as much as hands and head, where artist-instructors seek to unleash a zeal for creative role-playing, and where wonder is the preferred path to igniting a passion for design, construction and playful exploration of the world.
- Spring 2019 Game Day: THE EMPIRE STRIKES, Episode II at West Bush Lake Park, $69
COMBAT PLAY GAUGE
Please consider the level of combat play in each activity. The expectations for combat play set up in summer adventures can be very different from the expectations set up in each different experience.
Make sure you're signing up for the right activity!
- Red indicates a HIGH level of combat play, the workshops are centered around this type of play.
- Orange indicates a MODERATE level of combat play with a little time set aside for it each day.
- Yellow indicates a LOW level of combat play, it might happen but should not be expected daily.
- Green indicates NOCOMBAT PLAY. Participants should not expect or ask for any combat play.
1. SPRING GAME DAY
THE EMPIRE STRIKES, EPISODE II: Day of Reckoning
Saturday, May 11th, 10am-3pm, ages 8-16
West Bush Lake Park, Shelter #1, 9401 West Bush Lake Rd., Bloomington, $69
High Combat Play
Play as one of several star-faring civilizations rebelling against intergalactic despotism. New sci-fi rules, melee weapons and Nerf guns are included in a multi-episodic adventure at West Bush Lake Park.
Backstory for Episode II:
The Alpha Centauri system had long been a hotbed of resistance against imperial designs. The resistance however had been far from unified. Several unaffiliated revolutionary organizations spanning multiple worlds in this triple star system had been deadlocked in conflict for years before agents of Empire managed to provoke outright hostilities between them; a plan in which the Empire could insert itself to eradicate rebel leaders while pretending to be a peacemaker in the system.
In the midst of a triple dogfight between Coruscantians, Kra’ali and Plorosite forces, an Imperial Dreadnaught forced emergency landings by all three frigate-class rebel ships on the world of X’Xit (aka Centauri Bb.) Prepared to finish the extermination of rebel leaders, Vice Admiral Vanir of the Imperial Fleet, in secret, dispatched a Pacification Squad to the world to ensure there would be no survivors.
In our last episode, only a small section of Plorosite forces had managed to escape annihilation with the help of their new Kra'ali allies, allies who were left with Coruscantians stranded on X'Xit at the mercy of an Imperial Pacification Squad.
The escape of Plorosite forces, however, exposed The Empire's subterfuge and succeeded in uniting rebel forces in the Alpha Centauri system. The Empire doubled-down on X'Xit installing a fortress-weapon capable of wiping out distant cities on multiple worlds in the Centauri system.
Now the Plorosite have returned in force to see what Kra'ali or Coruscantian allies might be left alive with the objective of locating, infiltrating and disabling the Imperial fortress-weapon and, if possible, driving out the entire Imperial military presence on Centaur Bb.
Play on one of four teams:
- The Imperial Pacification Squad: use the best large projectile weapons and your overweening force.
- The Plorosite Compound: play as a single vast sentient being whose individual protoplasmic deposits communicate with telepath-like ability.
- The Monarchy of Kra'al: be one of an orange furry civilization of unusual strength and courage.
- The Coruscant Federation: join a scrappy and highly adaptable proto-terran civilization.